Akron Lamp Co. lamps


The Akron Lamp Co. referred to their No. 81 lamp, the Portable,
as their original lamp and said it was patented on Nov. 26, 1912.
This torch lighting lamp, in Mike Ogilvie's collection,
is advertised in Catalog No. 18, circa 1916.
The burner (lower image) includes three rods to support
the burner - one from above and two to hold the cowl on the sides.


Model 84 by the Akron Lamp Co.
is a torch lighting model
that appears in their 1916 catalog.
The tip cleaner door is pointed at the bottom
(to the left of the air tube).


This lamp is stamped Akron Gas Lamp Co.
It has the appearance of a torch lighting model but with a generator.
This Model 92 appears in a 1919 advertisement for Akron products,
and probably dates to 1919-20 according to Neil McRae.


This Diamond salesman's kit (left) was owned and used by Emil Goecks of N. Milwaukee, WI.
A price list inside the door is dated Feb. 1, 1922.
The Diamond lamp Model 102G  with the original shade and mantles was in this kit.
This kit and the separate lamp and shade to the right are in Fil Graff's collection.


Akron's Model 105G chandelier lamp with shades as original
provides light and warmth in Randall Adams's home
on a winter night.
Randall, who restored the lamp,
learned that it once hung in a speakeasy
(a bar that served alcoholic beverages during Prohibition) in Nevada.


The Akron Lamp Co. also made a Model 106G bracket lamp.
The same ventilator and mica globe were used on the Model 103 lantern.
The lamp on the right is not typical as it lacks the nickel plating
and support pegs for the fount.
It is also hung by a keyhole tab on the back, not a ring.
The lamp on the left is in David Jahn's collection,
while the lamp on the right is in Craig Seabrook's collection.


Akron's Model 120-BG table lamp is another twin mantle lamp.
After soldering the brass stem in the handle section
>I was able to run this lamp.
The Gold Krakel finish on the font and handle
are complemented by the Cremax Diamond shade
with two peacocks decals on the four panels.


Akron made a Utility Lamp, Model 121G,
seen here with the earlier "...opal white..." shade (left) in Jerry Engbring's collection,
"...ivory-gold glass shade of modernistic design." in John Anderson's collection (middle),
and with a green with black accent painted fount (right).
This lamp is a two burner, 300 cp model.
The shade in the center image was available for this lamp and Model 125
in an Akron catalog from mid- 1941.


Akron Model 140-BG (left), in Kelly Williams' collection, has an Instant-Glo generator and tip cleaner.
Akron also made a similar lamp for Montgomery Ward (center and right), in John Anderson's collection,
but without a built-in pump and Instant-Glo lighting.
The lamp founts and handles were finished in "statue bronze" paint
(close-up on the right) by Akron (Neil McRae).
These lamps are seen here with Akron Cremax shades.


In early 1930's versions, before the Instant Glo patent was approved,
Akron made these Model 140-B lamps with an earlier round handle
(not hexagonal as above) and finished it in nickel (left)
and Gold Krakel paint (right - in the Tongass Historical Museum, Ketchikan, Alaska).
These 140-B versions came with a Cremax shade as above;
a 140-A version came with a parchment shade.


These Akron vase lamps in the Art Deco style
with Instant-Glo generator's date to 1938
when they were sold as Models 486B7257 (left)
and 486C7258 (right) by Montgomery Ward (McRae).
The lamp on the left is in Dick Sellers' collection.
The lamp on the right is in John Anderson's collection.


This Diamond brand floor lamp by the Akron Lamp Co. (left & middle)
is in Craig Seabrook's collection.
It features the original parchment shade.
The close-up views (center & right) reveal the characteristic Akron Instant-Glo generator
and square/diamond valve knob.
The image on the right is of the fount and burner of this lamp, running, in Fil Graff's collection.


Montgomery Ward sold this Model 450F418 Akron pottery lamp
in the 1933 catalog for $7.45 with a 16" parchment shade.
The metal fount inside the ceramic pottery
held 1.5 pints of gasoline.
This lamp is in Jerry Engbring's collection.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2014 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional