Coleman hollow wire lighting


The Model 1A hollow wire lamp was made by
the Hydro-Carbon Co., of Wichita, Kansas,
a precursor to The Coleman Lamp Co.
Model 1 was made from 1906 to 1917.
This lamp, with a #60 inverted globe,
is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Hydrocarbon and Coleman hollow wire lamp Model 33B
was advertised to produce 600 cp.
Model 33 was produced from 1907 to 1917.
The generator positioned over the lamp
makes this an arc lamp model as well.
This lamp, with a #92 imported Jena globe,
is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


The Model 11Z hollow wire lamp
was made from 1910 to 1927.
This lamp has a #98 prism shade
and is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Model 4 was made from 1912 to 1916.
This Model 4P, the pear shape design,
is one of 299 that were made.
Seen here with the #307 ribbed shade,
this lamp is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


A Coleman 18V hollow wire lamp
with the #304 large inverted shade.
Less than 5000 Model 18 lamps were manufactured between 1913-1916.
This lamp was restored by Jim Nichols and is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Coleman manufactured No. 7 from 1912 to 1917.
This No. 7W has the 311 etched shade (left image) hence the W suffix.
In the right image, the gas tip (below the "A")
is controlled by turning the 7/16" valve stem nut (to the lower left of "B").
The air intake tube and regulator are to the left and above "C."
This hollow wire light is in Dwayne Hanson's collection.


The Coleman Model 13 hollow wire lamp
was made by Coleman from 1913-1920.
It is seen here with the #78 half frosted shade.
This lamp was restored by Jim Nichols
and is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Coleman shipped 618 Model 15 chandelier lamps from 1913 to 1920.
This model is comprised of two, 1-mantle lights
on either isde of a larger 3-mantle light.
This lamp is in Ron & Charleen Becker's collection
Compare to the larger Model 17SA below.


Coleman shipped 845 Model 17SA lamps from 1913 to 1920.
This model is comprised of four, 1-mantle lights
surrounding a larger 3-mantle light.
The light on the left is in Ron & Charleen Becker's collection;
the image was taken by Leonard Johnson.
The light on the right is in Jim & Jan Nichols' collection.


Hollow wire lamp Model 250 was an outside hollow wire lamp
that was the basis for the Arc lantern.
As on the lantern this lamp has the # 316 clear globe.
This lamp model was made from 1914 to 1926.
This lamp is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Model 25X was another indoor 300 cp model
that was made from 1914 to 1926.
The shade is # 311 frosted.
This model is all original
and is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.


Side (left) and burner (right) views of a Model 27L
indoor hollow wire lamp by Coleman.
The L suffix designates the cone-shaped opal shade.
This model was made from 1914 to 1928.
This lamp is in Leonard Johnson's collection.


This is an image of a Model 27L running.
The lamp is in Jim and Jan Nichols' collection.



Another example of a Model 27 lamp,
This one is identified on the crown (lower image).
The shade is not original to the lamp.
This lamp is in Joshua Culp's collection.



Model 31 is a Quick-Lite Wall or Bracket Lamp.
This maodel was shipped from 1915 to 1927 (Hiram Strong's records - Becker)
With the 307 shade (lower image) it was Model 31P.
It also came with a 317 shade as Model 31R.
This lamp is in Ron & Charleen Becker's collection.


Model 35 M was made from 1918 to 1927.
This later model used a Q99 generator
in a Quick Lite burner.
The shade is the #74 plain opal.
This lamp is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.




Roland Chevalier mounted a lantern tank
outfitted with a stove valve (top image).
above his 35 M hollow wire light to make it more portable (middle image)
when running (bottom image).
The fixture is missing the connecting ring above the frame;
the smoke bell is a replacement.

Four thousand four hundred forty six Model 30P hollow wire lights
were shipped by Coleman from 1919 to 1928.
Coleman called this model the Pendant Lamp.
This lamp is in Ron & Charleen Becker's collection.


This is an image of a Model 30P running.
The lamp is in Jim and Jan Nichols' collection.


Hollow wire lighting systems required fuel to operate.
This Coleman 653B Fuel Supply Tank held 6 gallons of
gasoline and 4 gallons of air space, to run lights for several days.
Hollow wire is flexible copper tubing, 1/8" in outside diameter,
which was connected between the tank and the light fixtures.
This tank was found in unused, mint condition and is in Hidenori Masuda's collection.

Another Coleman hollow wire tank,
this one probably predates the one above.
The air pump is a separate part on this model.
This tank, in Joseph Sparks' collection,
has a total capacity of about 8 gallons.


This 2 gallon capacity hollow wire tank held 1.5 gallons of fuel;
the rest of the volume was occupied by air under pressure.
This tank, in Kameron Bissell's collection,
would have been used in a one or two lamp system
to avoid more frequent fueling.
The valve wheel on the upper left is missing.

This 3 gallon hollow wire tank is older than the ones above
as it is stenciled Mfgd. by Hydro Carbon Co.
Coleman used the Hydro Carbon name until 1913
when they became the Coleman Lamp Co.
This tank is in Jim Nichol's collection.


This foot pump was made by Coleman for pressurizing hollow wire systems.
The brass band holding the handle is labeled:
THE COLEMAN SERVICE TIRE PUMP
THE COLEMAN LAMP CO.
WICHITA, KANSAS U.S.A.
This pump is in Jim & Jan Nichols' collection.


Hollow wire was often put into a groove along the walls and ceiling
then covered with a finishing material.
Coleman made this 5 3/4" long tool was used to continue the groove
into the corners into which the hollow wire was placed.
This tool is in a Coleman museum in Sugarcreek, Ohio.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2017 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional