Coleman US lanterns 1946 - 1960
(new image)

Coleman stamped Model 220C on the lanterns they made from 1944 until 1947.
This lantern, in John Stendahl's collection, is dated October 1945.
Model 220C has a yellow decal on the fount with lighting instructions.
as did the predecessor 220BX/220C made during WWII.


Coleman only manufactured Model 228C after WWII, from late 1945 until early 1947,
with some production overlap with Model 228D (below).
Model 228C has the same features as Model 220C above including a green painted brass fount,
screw-on pump cap, and yellow lighting instruction decal.
This lantern, dated B (July - Dec) 1946, is in John Stendahl's collection.

This lantern is stamped 228D on the collar
and has the features that one finds on other 220/228D's of the mid 1940's
including the large valve wheel, two-piece stamped burner,
and "D" version of the instruction decal.
However, this lantern, in Jim Lawrence's collection,
is date stamped B 46 (July - Dec. 1946);
compare to the date range for Models 220C and 228C above.



This early 220D has all the same
features as the 228D above but is date stamped B 47.
This lantern is in John Stendahl's collection.
The two piece stamped burner (lower image) was used
on a number of lamps and lantern models for a short time after WWII
before Coleman returned to cast burners.


Coleman made the "D" version of Model 228 from the mid 1940's until 1951.
This one, in Patrick Fay's collection, is dated April, 1948,
and has the original globe
on which Coleman appears in large faint green letters.
This was the last version to have a nickel plated brass fount
and the pump is held in by two small screws, not a spring clip.


This Model 220D, in Deems Burton's collection,
is almost like new and is dated B '48,
which we think means it was made in July-Dec of that year.
The black handled Coleman reflector, 220D790, fits 220C-F models.
Note the two pegs in the bottom bracket of the reflector
to engage the corresponding holes in the globe cage bottom for attachment.


Another lantern in Deems Burton's collection, the 242C,
is dated Aug. '48, and is little changed from the 242B predecessor model.
This model was produced from 1942-50;
some of them have the fount finished in green paint
rather than nickel plated as here.
The blue handled Coleman reflector, #242C790,
is made for the 242 series, 247, and 249 model lanterns.


Coleman 237 lanterns with an American Optical film strip and slide projector (left)
and a Society for Visual Education Inc. slide and film strip projector (right).
The potential markets were missionaries and rural communities
that lacked electric power, according to a 1949 Coleman News.
These undated lanterns are in Dick Sellers', left, and Shirley Willard's, right, collections.
The Charles Beseler Co. also made a similar projector for this lantern.


This 220D (dated B 50) is mounted in a Clamp-A-Hood
marketed by the Ernie Brow Sales Co., Anderson, Indiana.
The purppose of the hood (left) is to reflect light out.
The clamp (right) allows attachment to a boat or other object;
the accessory was presumably marketed to fishermen.
This lantern and accessory came in a well-made storage box that is in Mike Wells' collection.


This Model 200 lantern, dated Dec. '50, is in Deems Burton's collection
and includes a red handled Coleman reflector, 200-790, made for models 200, 200A, & 202
The two downward projections at the bottom of the bracket
fit into holes in the globe cage base on these models.


Coleman in Wichita, Kansas, made the Model 200 lantern in 1950-51.
Initially this model had a nickel plated brass fount,
as the lantern on the left dated Jan '51.
By April '51 the Coleman 200 (right) had a green painted brass fount,
no decal, and unpainted metal collar.
The lantern on the right is in Dan Boschen's collection.


In "A" (Jan. - June) 1951 Coleman was making the 220D and 228D
with green painted brass founts rather than nickel plated brass;
compare to the Model 200, above right.
The valve wheels on these lanterns are brown plastic
and there is no decal on the side of the fount.


By November, 1951, Coleman's Model 200A
had been introduced, replacing Model 200 above.
These earliest 200A lanterns
had green painted steel founts and,
by November, also had the Coleman decal.
This lantern is in Dan Boschen's collection.



Months after Coleman - Wichita stopped making the Model 200
They apparently got a supply of nickel plated brass founts
and embossed base rests from Coleman - Toronto
to fill a special order for the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) (Boschen).
This lantern, in Ed Franklin's collection, is date stamped November 1951.
The fount and direction disk are both marked US.


Coleman models 228E (left) and 220E (right) had steel founts.
The one on the left, in Dean DeGroff's collection, is date stamped July 1951,
the earliest date we have seen for this model.
It lacks the Coleman decal under the filler cap
which Coleman started using a couple of months later,
as on the right which is date stamped October, 1951.



Coleman made this inverted lantern for military trial.
A similar lantern was made by The Mantle Lamp Co. of America.
The decal on this lantern (lower image)
identifies it as T 53-5, which may be the date of manufacture.
The lantern is in Richard & Lorna Long's collection.


Another Coleman 237 lantern, this one is date stamped June 1958.
In addition to the familiar Sunshine logo
and Coleman in large letters stamped on the side of the fount,
it is also stamped Industria Brasileira (Portuguese) between the date numbers.
This lantern, in Mike Merz's collection,
appears to have been made entirely in Brazil.


Coleman made the Model 200A for 31 years beginning in 1952.
In 1953 this model had a black globe base (left)
and in 1961 it was maroon rather than red (right)
but most years, as in 1960 (center), it was red with an aluminum globe rest.
The lantern in the center has a replacement globe and fuel cap.
The lanterns on the left and right are in Shirley Willard's collection.


Model 202, the Professional (left), is dated Jan., '55.
This model was produced for 10 years beginning in 1954
For the first couple of years the burner was ceramic.
Monte Dodge's 202, running (right), is dated Mar. '57 and has a metal burner tip.


Coleman initially made the Col-Max models in the US
beginning in 1939-40, then switched production to the Canadian plant
and later to Hong Kong, where they were made until 1970.
Col-Max models were exported to compete with Petromax style lanterns.
Model 333, in Jerry Engbring's collection, is an undated 300 cp model Made in Hong Kong.


This Coleman 200A lantern has been modified with an elaborate globe cage
and 3 cylindrical globes, the innermost being a Fresnel lens.
An outer infrared filter keeps visible light from shining out the sides.
This lantern was made for the military to help direct planes to airfields in or near enemy territory.
These lanterns, dated June '59, are in Mike Rain's (left) & Dean DeGroff's (right) collections.
Please contact me if you have one of these lanterns.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2014 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional