International lamp manufacturers E - O

Falk, Stadelmann, a UK company, sold this Nova lamp model.
This lamp, in Conny Carlsson's collection,
came with a ribbed shade as seen here (left).
The burner and associated parts on this match lighting lamp (right)
are as those found on some Gloria Light Co., Chicago, models.
Other appliances sold by this company were likely imported
from National Stamping & Electric Works, Chicago (McRae).


This Graetzin 915H lamp was made by Ehrich & Graetz,
Berlin, Germany,
circa 1910-15.
It is a 90 cp, alcohol gravity lamp.
The donut tank holds 1.5 liters and will burn for 10 hours,
according to its owner, Roland Loos.


This a Petromax 816 table lamp, made by Ehrich & Graetz, Germany,
that has been converted from a wall bracket lamp to a table lamp
with an optional kit sold by the company.
This lamp is in Alan Ford's collection.


Another Petromax 816 table lamp, that was very likely made by Graetz KG,
Altena, Germany, in the 1950's (Breidenstein).
This lamp, in Roland Loos' collection, was new in the box when he got it
and with a shade and globe that Roland believes are original.


Petromax Baby lantern Model 900 was also sold
as lamp Model 899 with a reflector,
base stand, and ring to fasten the lantern into the stand.
This lamp, in Juan Caiti's collection,
also came with an optional fringe (not shown).
The lamp appears in a 1934 catalog.


Petromax Model 834 produces 200 cp (right image)
and is a sinumbra design (doesn't cast a downward shadow).
The kerosene is pressurized in the donut-shaped fount above the burner.
A pump and pressure gauge are both mounted on the top of the fount.
This lamp is in Tobias Jesse's collection.


Petromax Model 835 is a 60cm tall lamp with a steel fount and built-in pump.
Walter van Gulik owns the 835 on the left while the 835 on the right,
in Dieter Müller's collection, is also badged F. R. Racek, India.
The reflector on this one is marked Swan, another Asian brand.
Walter van Gulik dates his 835 to the end of WWII.
This 400 CP model uses kerosene.


The Nova brand lamp was branded by Falks Veritas, a UK company,
but manufactured by National Stamping and Electric Works, Chicago, USA.
It is a torch lighting 300cp gasoline lamp in Neil McRae's collection.
The shade is a modern reproduction.


Jakob Hirschhorn AG, Berlin,
made this AIDA Bonares indoor hanging lamp.
This alcohol lamp, in Rolf Hübener's collection,
appears in a 1911 book on German lighting.
The 90 cp lamp is 43 cm high
and will operate for 10 hours on a filling.


The model number of this AIDA donut lamp is unknown
but the patented Preston coil generator
(mounted on a slant - right) dates it to 1924-28.
This lamp is in Rolf Hübener's collection.


Jakob Hirschhorn AG, Berlin,
also made this AIDA Model 213 table lamp
that is in Rolf Hübener's collection.
The Preston coil generator on this 200/250 cp (McRae)
kerosene fueled lamp is preheated with an alcohol cup
(just above the valve wheel).


These Apex brand lamps were manufactured in South Africa,
most probably by Johannesburg Metal Pressings.
This nominally 400 cp double mantle kerosene lamp, Model 400?, may date to the 1950's.
The model is unusual in having an open-top ventilator.
These lamps are in Alan Ford's collection (left) and Neil McRae's collection (right).


These two lamps, in Albert White's collection in Australia,
have similar parts to a Kerona heater in Dane Gernecke's collection in New Zealand.
One of these lamps is only stamped with two Australian patents, while the other lamp is stamped Kerona.
Neil McRae notes that this is the earliest known use of the Preston burner and generator.
Trade magazine notes show that the Kerona brand in Australia
was made by Malcolm Preston & Co., Sydney, by at least 1915 (Mills)
and advertised by Early Bros. Ltd, Wellington, New Zealand, by 1925 and later (McRae).


Conny Carlsson found this lamp in France.
It is much like the Kerona lamp above,
but is stamped Talisman on the fount,
a brand name owned and used by Maurice Juchat, Paris,
according to company paper obtained by Conny.
It also has two German patents
stamped by the Preston generator.
The conical top, shade, mica globe, and pump are not original to the lamp.


Another UK company, Kitson Empire Lighting Co., Ltd.,
made this unknown model table lamp (left).
The air tube in the burner image (right) has a ring of 12 small holes
around the bulbous base connection to the handle
which allow air into the system.
This lamp is in Jeff Johnson's collection.


Kitson Model KD 1 is likely an earlier model than the kitson lamp above.
It was made in Stamford, England circa 1920,
according to Kenny Connolly, whose collection this is in.
Neil McRae notes that this lamp is a 100 to 200 cp kerosene model.




Kitson Model KD 2 is much the same as Model KD 1 above
but is a kerosene wall lamp mounted on a steel ring.
This lamp, in James Harvey's collection, is missing the burner cover.
The badge on the tank of this lamp (middle image) identifies the manufacturer as
The Kitson Empire Lighting Co., Ltd.,
Stamford, England.


The Kitson Empire Lighting Co., Stamford, England, also made this Model KD4 donut lamp.
Neil McRae, whose collection this is in, believes it dates to around WWI.
Seen here running in the right image, it is a 300cp model in Neil's opinion.
The lamp is missing the top cover for the burner and the shut off valve wheel in the right image.
Similar models of this lamp have four arms rather than two.


Kitson also made Model A, a 600 cp kerosene outdoor donut lamp.
This steel lamp, in Neil McRae's collection,
is seen here in a composite image (left and center) and running (right).
Kitson also made a 300 cp and a 1200 cp model
in this series of outdoor lamps.


The Kayen table lamp, Model HL7, burned kerosene and was rated at 300 cp.
Kayen pressure lamps were made in Sydney and Melbourne
by W. Kopsen & Co. and T.S. Nettlefold & Sons Pty Ltd. respectively between 1945 and circa 1955.
They were finished mainly in lacquered polished brass.
The globe in the image on the left, in Jim Dick's collection, is not original.
The lamp on the right, in Neil McRae's collection,
has a shade that is most likely old Tilley stock
that was used by Kopsen on their lamps in the late 40's.


This is a Kayen Model AP2, an all-purpose hanging lamp (reflector on),
table lamp (wire hanger and reflector off), or lantern (reflector off).
This 300 cp kerosene model is in Jim Dick's collection.
The AP2 was very popular in Australia from the mid 1940's to the mid '50's.
Jim has polished the uncommon copper fount for show purposes.
Usually the founts were brass, polished, and clear lacquered


Gebrüder Lauterbach, Berlin, Germany,
made this Marla brand gravity fed alcohol lamp
which was first advertised in 1910.
This lamp, in Walter van Gulik's collection,
includes a tool (left) that he believes
was used for cleaning the vapouriser.


This Model 211 lamp (McRae) was made by G. Lefebvre et Cie., Paris.
The embossed fount is a feature of this model.
The lamp is gasoline fueled.
The manometer is marked with the company name.
This lamp is in James Harvey's collection.


Société Métallurgique Liotard Frères, Paris,
made this Lilor brand Model 1988 lamp in the mid 1920's.
Conny Carlsson, whose collection this lamp is in,
made the shade holder and found a reproduction shade
with a hole in the top so the lamp would run as designed.
This 300 cp lamp runs on gasoline.


Another Lilor brand light, this Model 4083 donut lamp
appears in their catalogs from 1920 until the early 1930's.
This 150 cp gasoline fueled lamp, in Conny Carlsson's collection,
was rated at 150 cp and has a single mantle.


This lamp is stamped Lumiere Noel, a company located in Paris, France.
This lamp doesn't appear in their single known catalog from 1921.
Conny Carlsson restored the lamp which is in his collection.
He notes that it has features associated with an outdoor lamp.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2017 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional