International lamp manufacturers P - Z

his No. 984 200 cp "Petroleum Lampe" is also marked with a camel on top of a turtle logo
and BOMBAY, Calcutta, and Madras, Made in Germany,
Sole Agents S.A.R. & Co., Petroleum (India) Lighting.
If anyone has more information on the manufacturer
or the full name of the agent in India, please contact me.
This lamp is in Karl Göbel's collection.


This Match-O-Lite lamp was made
by the Powerlight Co., Winnipeg, Canada.
The fount is a Nagel-Chase circa 1912-1920 with a riveted base plate.
The burner is unique to this model, however.
This lamp is in Neil McRae's collection.


Two other models sold by the Powerlight Co. of Winnipeg
were made by Nagel-Chase in Chicago (left)
but this was a torch-lit model that is missing the burners
and made by the Perfection Vapor Co, Freeport, IL (right).
This lamp is missing the generator and burner assembly.
Both of these lamps are badged Powerlight Co. Winnipeg.


This lamp was made by Louis Runge, Berlin, Germany.
Rolf Hübener, whose collection this is in, dates it to 1898.
The upright mantle (missing) hangs from the wire over the burner (right image).
This gasoline model lacks a pump but uses gravity
and possibly heat from the generated lamp to pressurize the tank.

br>

Eugen Schatz, Zug, Switzerland,
made this Hasag Polar No. 3A hanging lamp
This model is a 300-400 cp kerosene lamp.
The lamp is in Ruedi Fischer's collection.


This Hasag Polar No. 7 hanging lamp is
badged Eugen Schatz, Zug (Switzerland).
This Polar model is unusual in having a curved reflector
to concentrate the light down and to one side.
Ruedi Fischer, whose collection this is in,
notes that the wire mesh protects people if the globe breaks.



This unfired bracket or wall lamp is badged Eugen Schatz,
Hasaglicht, Zug (Schweiz).
Note the angled preheater cup to the left of the burner cap.
The preheater cup is filled through an access door
on the other side of the ventilator.
This lamp is in Ruedi Fischer's collection.


Hugo Schneider Aktiengesellschaft, Leipzig, Germany, made the HASAG brand.
This HASAG Model 61 hanging lamp, in Kenny Connolly's collection,
has a lantern head so could have been used for outside lighting.
This is a 180-365cp lamp, according to Neil McRae,
that is pressurized with a separate pump at a fitting on the top of the fount.
The lamp can be operated with either white gas or kerosene.


Hugo Schneider also made this Polar Model 0a outdoor donut lamp.
An earlier version of this lamp, in Stefan Sindlinger's collection,
has the valve on top of the tank rather than on the fuel line as on later production.
The spherical mantle created the long light reflection in the image.
Stefan estimates the lamp to produce 300-400 cp.
This model last appears in a Hugo Schneider 1927 catalog (Neil McRae).


This Hasag Polar, Model 5A, 500 cp kerosene lamp.
strongly resembles the Petromax inverted lamp model.
This one may be pre-WW II or from the '50s.
The lamp is in the collection of Neil McRae, who found another one of this model
that had been stripped of its identifying marks by its shop owner in WW II London,
so that he wouldn't lose trade!


The Hasag brand also included alcohol fueled gravity lamps
such as this Model 1356 in Conny Carlsson's collection.
This indoor Liliput model is 43 1/2 cm tall
and was sold as an economy model.
Conny believes this model was initially made in the early to mid-1930's.
The lamp also came with a shade/reflector.


Hugo Schneider Aktiengesellschaft also made this No. 2
alcohol mantle lamp that is in Erik Leger's collection.
Ludwig Gebauer has calculated that this style burner develops 5-10 mbar when it is running.
A lever on the front side of the burner pumps fuel for preheating
and the red lever on the upper right of the burner operates
the main valve to carry vaporized fuel up to the nozzle.


This hanging alcohol (spirit) lamp was made by Jan Serkowski S.A.,
Warsaw, Poland, and is date stamped 1936.
Rolf Hübener, whose collection this is in, does not pressurize the lamp to run it;
gravity apparently is the sole source of pressure to operate the lamp.
The lamp is also stamped "W.P. SAN." indicating that the lamp was made
for the sanitary troops of the Polish Army,
so it was probably used in field hospitals, etc.


The label on this inverted lamp is in Chinese
that can be dated by the writing to the 1940's - 50's.
It says "731 Type 300 W Hanging Gas Lantern"
"Global Trademark"
and "Shanghai Qinfen Metal Products Factory" (from Bo Keller).
This lamp is in Will Nelle's collection.


Two views of a Hasag Model 56 lamp.
This lamp has not been used;
it probably came with a shade but that has been lost.
Neil McRae compared it with catalogue descriptions
to guess the model number.
This lamp is in Henry Plew's collection; image by N. McRae.


This donut lamp appears to be Model 175 made by Standard Licht Gesellschaft m.b. H.
in either Germany or Switzerland.
This lamp, in Kenny Connolly's collection, was restored by him.
Neil McRae notes that this 400cp kerosene model is about 53cm in height.


Model 200A (left) and 400A (right) donut lamps
were made by Standard Licht Gesellschaft m.b. H. in Switzerland.
These lamps, in Ruedi Fischer's collection, appear in a 1948 catalog.
Model 400A includes the optional stand mounted on the reflector.
Model 200A is a 300 cp model with a built in pump.
Model 400A is a 500 cp model with a built-in pump (McRae).


This Standard inverted lamp, in Walter van Gulik's collection, is Model 590.
It has a steel fount and requires a separate pump to pressurize.
It is labeled Standard Petrolux, Timisoara (4th largest city in Romania),
on the underside of the reflector.
A fuel level indicator can be seen on the side of the fount.
Neil McRae notes that this is a 300 CP kerosene model.


Standard Licht also made this model 2076 lamp.
This kerosene lamp has an alcohol preheating cup.
The fount decal reads: Starklicht - Otte = Bochum;
Otte Bochum may be the distributor, according to Christian Hardt,
whose collection this is in.


This is an American Gas Machine (Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA) pendant lamp
made for and badged Stanleys (Stratford) Ltd, London, England.
The lamp is specially made from a Model 69 hollow wire
joined to an inverted pendant fount so it would be catalogued as AGM P69,
according to Neil McRae, who photographed this lamp in John Kidger's collection.


Tito Landi, Paris, France, made this 100 cp gasoline lamp in the early 1900's.
Erwin Schäfer, whose collection this is in,
notes that the fount is unusual on this Tito Landi lamp
because it is sealed so that there is additional fount pressure from heat
besides the pressure that forms just above the wick
as in this Tito Landi lantern.
The globe is not original to the lamp.


Unic-Lumière, Paris, France made this Model 9 gasoline hanging or wall lamp.
The fount is pressurized with a bicycle pump; the burner housing and reflector are aluminum.
The cleaning needle is actuated by screwing the top bolt in (and out);
the needle likely had a removable key, according to Neil McRae.
Henry Plews, whose collection this is in, says that the lamp is balanced when hanging
by sliding the hanging piece on the crossbar.


Unic-Lumière also made this Model 6 table lamp
which is another 400cp gasoline model as Model 9 above.
The fount is polished brass and the lamp head is green enamel.
The filler cap has a sliding bar handle;
the pressure gauge (left rear) only has the Bourdon tube.
This lamp is also in Henry Plew's collection.


Neil McRae has this harp pendant lamp in his collection.
The manufacturer is unknown but possibly German.
The lamp is from Peru and has suffered some modification.
This is the 1000th image on the website and was added on May 12, 2006.


This is a Ditmar Maxim Model 535. Probably 200 cp.
It was made in Wien, Austria
by Vereunigte
Emaillierwerke Lampen und Metallwarenfabriken Aktiengesellschaft.
 It may date from the 30s.
This lamp is in Neil McRae's collection.


This 61cm tall lamp is stamped Volcan Model 400
and was made by Volcan Industria Argentina.
Neil McRae found that the lamp had been electrified,
and because of damage to several parts
he may never be able to restore it to running condition.


The Welsbach Light Co. Ltd., London,
made this Model W3008 300 cp kerosene lamp in the mid-1920's.
This lamp, in Conny Carlsson's collection, is running with another globe on the left,
and has the original globe in the image on the right.

These lamps have a gland nut inside the handle that, when loosened, allows the fuel tube
to be withdrawn from the fount for cleaning (McRae).


Willis & Bates, UK, made these Bialaddin T10 table lamps
for Aladdin Industries, another UK company.
The Model T10 was always painted cream with a chrome trim.
Neil McRae, who collection these are in,
doesn't know which variation seen here was produced earlier
but the model was produced from the mid '50's until circa 1966.


This Model T10 lamp, in Jan Merkestein's collection,
includes the original shade.


Bialaddin Model T20
was only made for a year or so circa 1967-8,
in a painted (left) and chrome version (right).
Both the T10 above and T20 models here are 300 cp kerosene lamps.
These are also in Neil McRae's collection.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2014 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional