Irons

These irons were manufactured by The Akron Lamp Co., Akron, Ohio.
The iron on the left, in Craig Seabrook's collection,
is also marked with their Diamond brand on the plate at the base of the handle.
The iron on the right, in Glenn Knapke's collection,
is only marked Montgomery Ward, Chicago, on the filler cap.
It differs from the iron on the left in having a fluted base and wood grain painted wood handle.


The Akron Lamp Co. patented this iron
and the next ones below in the same design on Dec. 22, 1936.
This iron, in Benjamin and Rhonda Adams' collection,
is a kerosene model and required preheating
with an alcohol torch inserted in the hole near the back.
The iron is preheated and can rest tilted back on the tank.


The Akron Lamp Co. made this iron for Montgomery Ward
who sold it as No. 4045.
The sales slip that came with this iron, in Joe Pagan's collection,
is dated July 18, 1939.
The pump is built into the handle on these irons.
The handle is brown plastic as on the similar Radiant model below.


Radiant Products Co. was apparently a subsidiary of the Akron Lamp & Mfg. Co. in Akron, Ohio.
This Radiant iron, Model R-9-G, came with a sales slip dated Oct. 31, 1947.
The iron can be rested vertically on the fuel tank
when not in use.
The pump on this model is built into the handle.



The Albert Lea Gas Light Co, Albert Lea, Minnesota,
made this Gem iron between 1910 and circa 1914
when the company became the Brite-Lite Co.
The thin brass generator tube (lower image) is kept hot by
the heat rising from the burner (lower cylinder with slits below)
that otherwise directs the heat downward to the base plate of the iron.


Aladdin Australia made this Model 4 kerosene iron circa 1939.
This iron, in Peter Cunnington's collection, has the spherical filler cap
at the top of the reservoir
and the pump is built into the handle.
Note the thumb rest at the front of the handle for a right-handed user.
The iron is preheated in the vertical posistion resting on the reservoir.


AGM listed this American Self Heating Flat Iron No. 3,
in Catalog 22, circa 1917.
An earlier example of this AGM iron
badged for the Incandescent Light & Supply Co., Wichita,
can be seen here.
This iron is in Loren Abernathy's collection.


The Model 67 AGM iron is listed in a parts catalog from circa 1930.
This is a torch lighting model
with an ivory enamel finish.
Stress cracks in the tank prevent this iron from being used.
The trivet is the original that was supplied with this iron.


The stamping on the top plate of this iron
identifies it as Sun Flame Model 6968 as well as Pat. Appl'd For & Made in USA.
There is a tag on the front of the handle
marked American Gas Machine Inc., Albert Lea, Minn.
This iron is in Clayton Heiderich's collection.


Based on the valve wheel, Jan Dyke believes this iron
in his collection was made by AGM.
The tag on the front of the handle
identifies it as Sears Model 710.2434.
Jan returned the body and tank to their original silver paint color.


This unlabeled gasoline iron was identified
by an instruction sheet as the Standard Self-Heating Iron
that was made by the C. Brown Mfg. Co., Cincinnati, Ohio.
This iron, in Glenn Knapke's collection,
required heating for 5 - 7 minutes with a teaspoon of gas to build pressure
in the tank prior to opening the valve to run the iron.


The self-heating HydroCarbon E-Z sad iron
was manufactured by Enterprise Tool & Metal Works, Chicago.
Based on the address on the instruction sheet that came with this iron,
the iron was made sometime after 1914.
This iron is in John Carriere's collection.


The top plate on this iron is embossed PERFECTO, PAT. JUNE 15 15, and KEROSENE IRON,
but a 1916 advertisement for the Perfecto Iron gives the address of Enterprise Tool & Metal Works.
The June 15, 1915 patent was issued to G.T. Rosengren and assigned to that company.
Compare this iron to the Enterprise iron in the image above.
This iron, in Ron Drake's collection, came with the original pump.


The Gloria Light Co. of Australasia, Melbourne, Australia,
was the likely manufacturer of this iron,
according to Jason Tyler, whose collection this is in.
He notes that some of the fittings are similar
to those found on Gloria lamp models from that company.


Handi Works Pty. Ltd., a company in Brisbane, Australia,
made this "Pumpless" iron, probably between 1960 and 1980,

according to Albert White, the Curator of the Handi Museum.

The iron and its box are in Jason Tyler's collection.

The black knob on the cover of the body of the iron

is a screw to hold the cover on the iron.


This "Self Heating Flat Iron" was made by the Imperial Brass Mfg. Co., Chicago, IL.
Manufactured after 1911,
it has a wood handle and valve knob; the rest is nickel plated brass and steel.
This model is unusual because the "external pump"
can be left threaded on to the top of the tank.
This iron is in the Engbring's collection.


The Monitor Sad Iron Co. probably made
this early gasoline model prior to April 14, 1903
as this iron is marked Patent Pending
and others of this model have the patent date information.
George Rocen, whose collection this iron is in,
says the wood handle has the original black paint; the body is nickel plated.


This iron, in Jerry Engbring's collection, is a Monitor Model A,
another gasoline model
that presumably built tank pressure
during preheating the generator.
The Monitor Sad Iron Co. was located in Big Prairie, Ohio.


National Stamping and Electric Works was located in Chicago for many years.
During this time they made this model which is only stamped 5986,
perhaps for one of the mail order companies.
Through the long slot in the body you can see the brass end of the burner
opens right below a metal flange on the generator to transfer heat.


National Stamping and Electric Works also made this iron
that was marked as manufactured by them.
This Comfort Iron, in Glenn Knapke's collection, is also enbossed Self Heating.


This Model 598 iron was made by
National Stamping and Electric Works in the 1950's
after they moved from Chicago to St. Louis, Missouri.
The body of the iron, which burns kerosene, is aluminum;
the trivet is original to this iron.



This Australian Peerman I/46 iron was made by C. J. Thomas & Son, Melbourne, circa 1948.
Peter Cunnington, whose collection this is in, ran the "Pumpless" iron by preheating with alcohol
then opening the lower valve for Shellite (gasoline) to flow (lower image)
The upper knob screws down the top.
The body may have originally been enameled.
Peter also used high temperature paint on previously plated surfaces.


The Royal Self-Heating Iron Co. of Big Prairie, Ohio, may have succeeded the Monitor Sad Iron Co. (above).
Their models include The "Royal" Iron (left) and Model D (right).
The "Royal" Iron, in Glenn Knapke's collection, is presumably pressurized by preheating
and came with a wrench to adjust the fuel flow.
The Model D is pressurized with a pump
and came with the box, a wrench, and three alcohol torches.


While this iron is stamped Thomas Mfg. Co., Dayton, Ohio,
the patent number that is also stamped on the top plate was awarded in 1903 to John C. Lake,
of The Monitor Sad Iron Co., Big Prairie, Ohio (see above).
This iron is also stamped The Faultless.
The Monitor Sad Iron Co. also made this same iron
for the Coleman Co. as their Model No. 1.


Thomas Mfg. Co., Dayton, Ohio, also sold this Kerosafe iron,
that was probably made for them by another company.
This kerosene fueled iron, in Jerry Engbring's collection,
came with the case pump.
Image by Neil McRae.


This Tilley DN6 iron, in Kenny Connolly's collection,
dates to the late 1930's, when an advertisement for it appeared.
As other liquid fueled appliances by Tilley, this one is kerosene fueled.


Tilley Model DN 250n (left) has a cream-porcelained body
while Model DN 250A (right) has a chrome-plated body.
The 250 was introduced in the early '50's and sold until the late '70's
while the 250A was probably sold for only a few years until the mid '80's.
These irons, in Neil McRae's collection,
have a regulating generator which enables the user to control the heat.


 References on irons call this a Standard Model for Sears, #5947.
The unidentified manufacturer was Turner Brass in Sycamore, Illinois.
This model was introduced in 1935,
according to an article in an iron collectors publication.


The top plate casting on this iron states: MODERN GASOLINE IRON,
MILWAUKEE WIS, NON EXPLOSIVE PAT APLD FOR, NO 26.
The iron was made by the Modern Specialties Co. between Mar. 13, 1907
and Oct. 19, 1909 based on the patent for this model.
This iron is in Bruce Strauss' collection.


This iron is the same basic design as the Modern Gasoline iron above
but the top plate casting on this iron
identifies it as made by the Sun Mfg. Co., South Bend, Indiana.
This iron has the patent date information for both of these irons.
The Sun Mfg. Co. was in business circa 1914, a couple of years
after Modern Specialties had gone out of business in Milwaukee (Schedler)
This iron is in Pat & Jerry Engbring's collection.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2014 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional