Tilley household lamps post-1945

 Model TL106 table lamps made in 1946-52 (left), 1952-56 (two, center), and 1957-62 (right).
While the styles changed, the model numbers did not,
which makes it difficult for collectors today.
Three of these (left, center left, and right) are in Neil McRae's collection,
while the center right version in chrome finish is in Steve & Jill Wood's collection.


Three Model TL136 lamps made in 1946-52 (left), 1952-56 (center), and 1957-62 (right).
Model TL136 lamps were shorter versions of the 106 lamps;
these are also in Neil's collection.
The model on the left was originally finished as its 106 counterpart above.
The models in the center and on the right came with a parchment shade
as on the Model VL 1 near the top of this page.
Neil knows of only one other example of the version on the right;
this one came from a Scottish hunting lodge and has rarely been used.


Another TL 136 dating to 1952-56 as above center,
this lamp, in Will Nelle's collection,
with the optional shade.


Another 300 cp donut lamp, this Model IL 47
was manufactured between 1947 and around 1962.
Neil McRae restored this one, which is in his collection,
to a nearly exact colour match and with the correct globe.


Tilley KL80 hanging lamp (left) was manufactured between 1950-62.
Neil McRae restored the lamp, now in Fil Graff's collection,
which included having a reproduction reflector made.
Tilley Part No. 900 (right) is a lower insect disk
(seen here on an TL10 with vitreosil shade) that was sold in the 1950s as an accessory for the KL80.
This part was identified by Jim Dick and is in Steve Clark's collection.


Models TL120 (left) and TL120A (center & right) lamps were made from 1962-64
and 1964 to around 1978, respectively, when Tilley stopped making table lamps.
The 120 came with a parchment shade as on the Model VL 1 near the top of this page.
A pleated paper shade came with the steel 120A (center).
The lamps on the left and center are in Neil McRae's collection.
Model 120A on the right has a chromium plated brass fount, plastic pleated shade,
and is date stamped Sept. 1976; it is in Judy & Mike Wells' collection.


To light most Tilley products the company
provided a jar and torch (left image).
The user put methylated spirits (denatured alcohol)
in the jar and soaked the torch.
To light the appliance (right image)
the torch handle was pinched to clasp the vapouriser (generator)
and the soaked fibers were lit with a match.
The heated vapouriser could then be lit
by opening the valve to the gently pumped fount of fuel
and the torch could be removed.

 

The content and opinions expressed on this page belong to the author of the page and are not endorsed by North Central College. The College accepts no responsibility for the content of these pages.

© 2000-2017 Terry Marsh

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional